We’ve all been there: we wake up in the middle of the night to a mind that’s racing, running through tomorrow’s to–do list, replaying something that happened in the past or worrying about what may or may not happen in the future. It’s estimated that between 40 and 60 million Americans experience some kind of occasional or chronic sleep disorder or sleep deprivation. For every one of us, there’s a different reason: age, stress, hormonal changes, our environment, even periods of heightened anxiety or anticipation. One of the most productive and restorative functions that our bodies perform happens when we are at rest or asleep. We know the more we can relax, the easier it is to sleep. And the better we sleep, the better we perform during our waking hours. Physically, we have more energy. Mentally, we are more focused and clear-minded. And, emotionally we are happier and have greater balance in our lives.
So, how do we ensure that ever-coveted good night’s sleep? By following these rituals and physically utilizing specific crystals that help with sleep, you can channel the natural powers of the Earth and, ultimately, fully connect with your inner self. This allows you to tether your energy and quiet your mind so you become grounded and fully present in the moment. Once you are calm and relaxed, your sleep patterns can recalibrate and resume an optimal rhythm. Then, just allow yourself to surrender and drift off…
Using crystals that help with sleep allows you to access the peace of mind you need to ease your worries. Let this Q&A with our resident crystal expert, Heather Askinosie, help you to decide which crystals for sleep will be the energetic lullaby for your overactive mind.
What are the 10 Top Stones For Better Sleep?
Our top 10 crystals for sleep are:
- Clear Quartz
- Rose Quartz
- Black Obsidian
- Black Tourmaline
What types of crystals can encourage better or deeper sleep?
Selenite, one of my favorite crystals for insomnia, is a crystal that everyone can use to get a better night’s sleep. Just looking at it, it represents what your ideal mindset should be before you head to bed: calm and clear. Connecting with it and having it in your space before you go to sleep each night puts you in that calm, clear state, programming your mind, body and spirit for a restful night’s sleep.
Celestite’s dreamy sky blue color and the celestial vibes give this stone its incredibly heavenly energy. Just by looking at it you will feel and experience the calming and soothing effect of the Celestite properties on your mind, body and spirit. Harness the calming, peaceful energy of the Celestite stone and use it like a lullaby for your soul, calling you out of a spiritual nightmare and guiding your inner spirit towards light and high vibrations. Similarly, working with the Celestite healing properties help to put your body at ease so you can truly rest and relax. This all-around calming effect is what makes the Celestite meaning such a powerful crystal ally for relieving stress and anxiety, and it also makes it one of the best crystals for sleep.
What types of crystals can encourage more vivid or happier dreams?
For calm, sweet dreaming specifically, Amethyst is my favorite choice. It is strongly connected with your intuition and your subconscious mind. When you dream, you’re tapping into and unlocking your subconscious mind. Try placing amethyst stones underneath your pillow before you go to bed, and keep a dream journal each night to see where your mind goes in your dreams.
However, if you’re looking for vivid, more lucid, expansive, or symbolically rich dreams? Try Labradorite! The Labradorite crystal healing properties are linked with the crown chakra, the energy center that governs spiritual expansion and higher levels of the mind and spirit. If you're looking to expand your mind and increase your spiritual growth, even while you’re catching some Zs, the Labradorite crystal meaning can connect you to higher realms of consciousness. Bringing Labradorite into your life reminds you that every single day holds new magic to be discovered, you just have to look for it.
Regardless of your dream goals, sleeping with crystals under your pillow is a super easy and super powerful way to influence the magical movies that play in your mind overnight.
What are good crystals to sleep with that prevent nightmares?
In my opinion, when it comes to nightmares, it’s best to start by investigating what’s going on in your space before adding helpful crystals for nightmares. And this is my general checklist:
- Do you have a mirror, computer or TV in your bedroom? I recommend keeping mirrors, TVs and computers out of your bedroom. Reflective surfaces, like mirrors, double the energy in your room. This same energy bounces back and forth throughout the night, staying active when you sleep. If you cannot remove them completely, try covering all of the mirrors and electronic devices with a sheet or curtain and you will feel the difference.
- Is your room cluttered? Bedrooms filled with clutter make your mind feel cluttered, which makes it hard to sleep and can lead to more nightmares.
- Have you cleansed your bedroom lately? Not cleaned, but energetically cleansed? If the answer is no, give it a good thorough sage, opening all the windows and letting the sunshine in. Do it. I promise it will make a big difference.
Do light sleepers need different crystals to help you sleep from deep sleepers?
At the end of the day, crystals are amplifiers, so they can keep some people up at night. Experiment with your placement — if you’re a light sleeper, sometimes it’s better to have them further away from your bed. Or perhaps a smaller crystal is better than a large one. 99% of the time, less is more when it comes to crystals to help you sleep in the bedroom. Pick one — whether it be Selenite, Amethyst or Rose Quartz — and work with that crystal before you go to bed each night. Add it to your night time routine every night, just like brushing your teeth!
Also, as your life changes, you may need to change out the crystals in your room. There are quite a few good crystals for sleep! There are periods of time where I’ve needed to bring in super-grounding crystals, like the Hematite, Shungite and Black Tourmaline, rather than the lighter ones that I use on a day to day basis.
Where in the bedroom are crystals best kept? Is it ever helpful to keep crystals for sleep under your pillow or under your bed?
If you want to tap into your dreams, under the pillow is amazing! Selenite under the bed is great, specifically under the foot of the bed. You can keep them on your nightstand, but if you feel as if they’re keeping you up, move them further away! And an Amethyst under pillow — how will that help, you may ask? Amethyst pacifies an overactive mind. It emits a strong, tranquil vibration that will soothe your turbulent headspace. Putting a small Amethyst crystal (stay away from Amethyst Clusters in this case!) under your pillow means it's in constant close proximity to your mind and, of course, your crown chakra.
Should you avoid keeping energizing crystals in your bedroom?
If you’re a light sleeper, then yes! That’s one more thing that will activate the room and lead to you being up at night. For those a little more sensitive to crystal energy, some good crystals to sleep with are Lepidolite and Amethyst. These crystal energies will help the energy in your bedroom, and in your own energy body, reach a tranquil equilibrium and keep it that way, preventing any overactive vibrations from disturbing your sleep. If possible, keep the following energizing crystals out of your bedroom: Carnelian, Red Jasper, Tiger’s Eye, Pyrite, Malachite, Apatite, Sunstone and Garnet.
Everyday Crystals for Sleep and Relaxation:
Below are two body layouts that incorporate the best crystals to sleep with, depending on your individual needs on any given day. One is for relaxation, if your intention is to relieve stress or you simply want to pamper yourself. The other is specifically for sleep deprivation or insomnia.
Follow this practice when you want to unwind and pamper yourself. This can be a daily sleep maintenance ritual before you go to bed
You will need:
- 1 Black Obsidian Crystal Eye Mask to calm your mind
- 2 Angelite crystals to surround you with a soft, gentle frequency
- 1 large Selenite Crystal to clear your energy
- 1 Clear Quartz Cluster to open up your crown chakra and clear your mind
- Gather your crystals and lie comfortably on your bed.
- Roll your essential oil onto your third eye, temples, wrists, behind your knees and on the backs of your ankles.
- Place your crystals accordingly:
- Angelite touchstone in each hand
- Selenite over your chest
- Clear Quartz Point above your head, point facing away
- Black Obsidian Crystal Eye Mask over your eyes
- Cover yourself with a blanket (especially your feet) for an extra layer of relaxation.
- Leave your crystals on your body for 11 minutes and let their weight usher you into a state of relaxation. (You can listen to this nighttime meditation to further your relaxation).
Crystal Practice For Soothing Insomnia:
Follow this practice to stay grounded and recalibrate your sleeping patterns. Use as needed when you’re unable to sleep and experiencing insomnia
You will need:
- 1 Celestite to fill your room with a harmonious energy. This stone is especially good for children and babies because of its pacifying effects, which help lull them to sleep. Adults will also gain the same effects from this subtle blue crystal
- Several Selenite Crystal pieces to clear your energy
- Go through the bedroom checklist listed above first!
- Hold your Celestite and Selenite in both hands and state out loud “I fall asleep easily.”
- Place your Celestite on your nightstand.
- Place multiple pieces of Selenite around the perimeter of your bed to cleanse and calm the energy of your space.
- Before you go to bed, lay a piece of Selenite over your chest for 5 to 11 minutes to clear away the endless mind chatter.
- When you are finished, place your Selenite on your nightstand. Close your eyes, breathe deeply, and begin to drift off to sleep.
- Cleanse your crystals once a week to remove any energy they’ve absorbed and then repeat steps 1-6 until your insomnia passes.
Crystals for Sleep: FAQs
Though it may sound a bit strange, sleeping with crystals under your pillow is actually super common! And remember, keep these small and, preferably, nice and smooth and polished! We love placing an Angelite tumbled stone, Amethyst tumbled stone and an Angelite tumbled stone under our pillows to keep the soothing, calming and soporific energy close to us all night long. To help prevent the stones from falling out of the bed or causing any discomfort, we suggest placing your stones (and keeping it to 2-3 at most) inside of your pillow case and tilting the entire pillow so that the stones migrate to a corner seam.
When it comes to managing conflict more directly and helping to nurture a harmonious frequency with your partner, we can’t recommend Golden Healer more. It helps prevent anger from boiling over, the knee-jerk reaction of taking things personally, feeling compassion both for your partner and for yourself, and being able to speak your truth genuinely and without fear.
Help lull your baby or child off to dreamland with the soothing baby blue hues of Celestite! Place it by their bed or crib and set an intention with them (or for them) for calm, peaceful sleep: I ask the crystals to help my child have a peaceful night sleep. Looking for more stones for sleep for your little one? Selenite is an excellent option because it acts as an energetic night light, dispelling negativity, dense energy, and any disturbances.